Thursday, December 22, 2011

Remberance

At holiday functions we're honestly lucky to all leave the house in clean clothes (especially when 'clean' is a relative term that may last only 15 minutes when you have 2 boys). But the intention is there - cute pants, shirts, matching shoes for each child in coordinating combinations.

I, however, am the last on the list to be checked off. Mom prepares the food, the presents, the people and I admit I've gotten way out of the habit of putting myself before anything else. Call it letting myself go - call it being a martyr - call it OMGFREAKINGLACKOFTIME. In whatever case I have been known to show up without makeup or hair still air-drying to many a function. But again, the intention is there.

When choosing attire, not only do I consider if it is too casual, too dressy, too hot or too cold - but I also somehow still retain the hope that one skirt will magically melt away 10 pounds that the last skirt didn't. That somehow the cream sweater will eliminate the muffin-top effect over my jeans that the blue blouse couldn't. In my closet, I just know, are clothes with super-powers I have yet unleashed. If only I took the time to plan and primp and prepare. It's the fate of the fat.

Today was the last day of school for my kids - AKA the last day to get anything done in preparation for Christmas. Due to painting/staining/gluing projects for their gifts - I was in sweatpants, a huge t-shirt and hadn't had a shower all day. Needless to say, I was caught by surprise when my aunt showed up to pick up a few folding chairs for this weekend's family events. Her comment? "You look good - have you lost weight"?

Now, ok...

This is a comment that I've heard more than once. Many times more than once. This is the first time in my life I've been obese. Before I was always curvy but not like I am now. But this is what people ask me - "have you lost weight"?... and they are serious.

So my question to you is...
Are they remembering me that much fatter than I really am and then genuinely surprised when I'm just how I am (which is the fattest I've ever been)...

This sugarplum fairy is befuddled by the phenomenon...

No comments:

Post a Comment